Saturday 1 February 2014 @ 12:52 pm
Many people who choose travel writer as a full time job get struck in the moon of overwhelming desires. The lights of luxurious hotels and the massage of elegant girls create a charisma of dreams that can’t be resisted. But once they see the paychecks, they directly land on the taut floor. Why get blown away? Here are some checklists to test eternalness of travel writing career.
1) Winning edge
Writing nonspecific articles sitting in a fully AC cabin is totally different from writing a travel article after full day wandering in the unknown places; is well known to everybody. But question here is that, do they have the winning edge?
- The writing skills should not be excellent, it should be extra ordinary.
- There is always curiosity attached with the reader of the travel article and if the reader feels confused then its dead end.
- Willing to travel to literally any place on the earth.
- Writing as a passion not as money making machine.
2) Multiple media exposure
Many people get attached to print media or electronic media for travel writing. They don’t want to experiment with various channels as they fear that it would lead to time shortage and less quality work. But the demand of time is to be present everywhere.
- Travel blogs is the best place to create online presence in travel niche
- Getting attached to big travel companies as a reviewer
- Writing for travel specialized magazines
- Showcasing the traveled destination in all possible conferences & get together meetings.
3) Help of co-writer
Travel writing is something which needs strong network and cooperation with people from similar niche.
Many times a good written travel articles goes wasted due to lack of personal touch by a fellow co-writer.
- They can help in creating articles to the utmost industry standards.
- More areas to explore and feel safe at unknown places.
- The funding sources can also be widened.
- Can also act as spokesperson for a establisher writer
Conclusion: Travel writing can be fun and at the same time hard to defy. So, one should check his merits and sources before acquiring it as a full time job.
Monday 16 December 2013 @ 12:15 pm
Travel writing is most of the times considered as a ‘diminutive profession’ due to the bad experiences and lack of proper funding. But if somebody tries to analyze the other side of the lake then they will find it as a creamy career to pursue. Let’s stir up some 15 things that one should avoid as a travel writer.
- Copy Others
Many people feel comfortable in writing articles by visiting the same areas that is already covered by some fellow writer. Readers will lose interest in such repeating areas at a particular location. A writer can ‘FOLLOW’ other writers but ‘COPY’ is catastrophic.
- Follow Trend
Profession like fashion extremely needs to follow latest trends. But in travel writing one should avoid the current trend, ideally create own style with every write up.
- Secret Success Plan
There is nothing called secret plan for getting success in travel writing career and one should not get washed away by such unpractical success plan guides.
- Freestyle Writing
In generic article writing people don’t mind poorly used syntax and unfocused content flow. But in travel niche it is totally different. A travel enthusiast is more interested in specific terms writing rather than free style writing.
- Hiding the Work
A business plan can be considered in the category of confidential work but in travel writing one should discuss the work with others to add more improvement scope in the existing work.
- Born with Pen
Many people who have the literary art of writing feel that they are born with pen and there is no need of polishing it. One should clear this myth and get equipped with latest degree and certificate.
- Stand Alone Operation
Travel writing areas can’t be expanded by using stand alone operation policies. One should develop web of network for cooperation, scope improvement and popularity.
- Frequent Traveling
Most of the travelers think that it is necessary to travel too often to get more exposure. But that idea is sarcastic. Less traveling and depth writing is more powerful than frequent traveling and cheap writing.
- Fully Funded Trip
Gone are the days when people use to wait for airline or hotel to fully fund the tour expenses. This not only limits the writing style but also missed opportunities to explore uncovered areas.
- Editor Review
Smart writer reviews own article before and after publication and does not depend upon the faith of editor.
Thursday 3 October 2013 @ 1:22 pm
Visiting the exotic places and getting paid for the visit is something which nobody can refuse. This fact makes travel writing a lucrative profession to peep into. There are many freelance writers who work for $1 per 500 words article, doesn’t make any sense. A person who is looking to build career in this line should be free from financial worries during travel, to bring quality outputs.
Quick Review on Some of the Best Sources of Funding the Tour
Airline Company: Most of the airline company offering regular flights to various countries won’t mind sponsoring a writer to write the destination guide. A person residing in any country can approach the nearest airline company with the sample of writing work and offer to write the destination guide which can aid in better user experience and sales turnover of the company.
Hotels: Tour and hotels are like two sides of a coin which can’t be separated. A traveler is always looking for best hotels before start of tour. This creates a great opportunity for a writer to bring personal experience of hotel before traveler. Hotel management is always looking for such professionals to promote their hotels in form of writing. One can easily contact various luxurious as well as mediocre hotels for funding the desired tours.
Private Tour Operators: They are the most suitable sources for funding the tour for travel writing. Since private tour operators are huge in numbers so getting positive response becomes easier. Beside this, while planning the tour packages and developing itinerary they are always looking for spicy writers. Stiff competition from similar operators provides more opportunity of success, as a writer.
Tourism Board: This is one of the permanent places to get round the year job of sponsored traveling. Government of a country or state is always concerned about developing the tourism in its area for valuable foreign exchanges and popularity. The tourism board hires writers to write about the personal experience of the place and publishes in their press media to get instant exposure.
Travel Magazines & Blogs: Though this source may not provide full funds but it is a great way to jump start the career and build reputation in the niche market.
Monday 26 August 2013 @ 1:08 pm
Pursuing career as a travel writer is sour as well as sweet. Confused? Read through this interesting article to convert the don’ts to do’s and dos to enhanced dos.
- Considering travel writing as a full time career can be disappointing. This is due to the facts that travel industry changes trends many times during a year. Some seasons are dull while some are peak seasons. One should keep other jobs option side by side to absorb the shocks.
- Pre assuming things based on other writers experiences can be obstacle in the further growth of career. Many people follow the footprints of big named writers to establish view about a particular location and thus miss the opportunity to prove their excellence. This should be avoided.
- Dependency on others for fully funding the tour can limit the areas of exploration. The writer has to write as per the desires of the sponsors and thus cannot get exposure to multiple genre of travel writing. Try spending sometimes from own pocket also.
- Frequent traveling to various places and changes in eating habits can lead to serious health problems. For a travel niche writer a person should develop strong resistive body to defend the bad foods and climate changes.
- Busy traveling schedule can limit the higher education desires. In order to earn more money writers spoil their career and feel deserted while switching over to other careers during recession period. Keep on enhancing education side by side.
- Travel writing career is too magnetic to resist. There is hardly any career which provides twin benefits of money with fun at one place. There is no investment to lose. Information driven job free from critical graphs & analysis.
- Great way to create huge network of friends which can prove useful in due course of time. Strong network will also magnetize the sponsors to keep coming to the writer all through the year.
- Easy to start this career without big degrees and certificate. Good language writing skills and creativity is the basic requirement of this job.
- Easy to switch over from full time to part time or vice versa as per the comfort level. Travel industry is one of the booming industries of the world, thus getting jobs is easier as compared to normal jobs.